Friday, June 3, 2011

Miracles

So I have been thinking about his quite a bit a going over the story of Lazarus trying to pull the meaning out of it for myself. I have included some excerpts to get the general feeling and will interrupt as I have found meaningful things. The full account is found in John 11. 
Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee. 
We learn from this and other areas that Martha had a good deal of faith in the Savior and of His power and had seen and heard of it's operation throughout all Israel.
Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.  ... Believest thou this?  She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world. 
Again she affirms her testimony to Christ of His power and divinity and mission.
Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?  
There were many who were with Martha and Mary who doubted His power.
Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days. 
Martha begins to doubt.
Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?  
The ever gentle rebuke from the Master
And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.  And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.   Then many of the Jews which came to Mary, and had seen the things which Jesus did, believed on him.
He preforms a miracle of miracles among the Jews, based on their beliefs about spirit departure from the body and many believe on Him.
So what?
That is the difficult question that keeps the scriptures from coming alive.
I relate a lot with Martha in that, I feel that I have a fairly good testimony of the Savior, and have seen His workings in my life. Yet, whenever I go to Him and ask Him for a miracle, ask Him to intercede in some incredible way in my life, and finally come to the "gravesite" I simply want to excuse the Lord from any "obligation" to preform a miracle in my behalf. 
Looking back I have felt that if it did not turn out the way that I had hoped and was given assurances that it would I felt like it would shake my faith. There were times that I really thought that the Lord would not preform the miracle in my behalf.
And I find great comfort in the rebuke of the Master, "Said I not unto thee..." He truly is waiting to bless our lives, and sometimes, most of the time, it is us He is waiting on. So that He can show forth, "The glory of God" in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment