Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Rorrim of Desire

What do I most desire? And, how do I get it? These are the questions that torments me most from day to day. It is a hard thing to always need something and Harry Potter has a start in the right direction as usual. When you look into a mirror you see that which is your greatest  desire. When Dumbledore looks into it he sees himself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks. I don't think so but it's a nice thought. I don't think that our deepest desires are something that we can share frivolously with others.
But who can we really trust with our greatest desires? Are not these what we are supposed to hold closest and most dear? Should you share them with anyone?
C.S. Lewis wrote Christ says, "Give me All. I don't want so much of your money and so much of your work: I want You. I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it. No half-measures are any good. I don't want to cut off a branch here and a branch there, I want to have the whole tree down. I don't want to drill the tooth, or crown it, or stop it, but to have it out. Hand over the whole natural self, all the desires which you think innocent as well as the ones you think wicked-the whole outfit. I will give you a new self instead. In fact, I will give you myself: My own will shall become yours."
Maybe we don't really know what we want or what we should want until we have done something else first.

No comments:

Post a Comment