Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Elementary

"You will not apply my precept," he said, shaking his head. "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door, the window, or the chimney. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room, as there is no concealment possible. When, then, did he come?"
     The Sign of the Four, ch. 6 (1890)
I won't spoil it for you, as it is rather fantastic and I love Sherlock Holmes stories. 
Sherlock has always been for me a very good kind of role model. I love how he can observe and his keen knowledge and intellect. He is eccentric in a lot of ways. He has complete control over his emotions to the ability that he can reason in logic without interference. He can simplify things that are very complex. He finds things reversed from the way that many people see them because he knows from experience that the common conception is really a misconception.
I hope to be like him in a lot of ways and not like him in a lot of ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment