Friday, November 4, 2011

knowledge vs intellect

I do not believe that I was being redundantly repetitive using both knowledge and intellect to describe Sherlock Holmes. Knowledge is the know of something and intellect the using it. I may know that if you leave a pail with straw and food covered in a barn that there will be mice in it and no food given time. Intellect is the ability to see that the mice did not spontaneously generate from the cheese. 
I think that it is a rare thing that people have both knowledge and intellect. The reason that comes with intellect is usually subdued by greater knowledge, not enhanced. 
Sherlock Holmes mentions that he does not postulate theories without facts because you then suit theory to fact instead of taking the facts at face value and assigning them their proper place.
I think of our ability to judge. We know something about someone and start to make rash judgements about that person based upon the little that we know. Then when confronted with the truth and it no longer fits our knowledge we simply adjust the truth to fit. It prevents people from seeing the amazing person sitting next to them. I wish you knowledge and power as illustrated by 
The Serenity Prayer
God grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathways to peace; Taking, as He did this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him.
Forever in the next.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment