Monday, December 6, 2010

How the Grinch Stole Chirstmas

So my brother has been talking a lot about President Uchtdorf's talk from the Christmas devotional about the Grinch, okay so it wasn't about the Grinch, but he related part of the story to the Grinch. How do you steal Christmas anyhow?
Christmas is really a feeling, how often do normal people just give presents to people? I find that gifts are one of the ways that we have of expressing a feeling that is hard to put into words. We want to give someone something else because we truly feel that we were given something, 2010 years that would forever change our lives. How much more then we can look kindly on giving a smile, words of encouragement, a compliment, flowers, a hug, some of our time and some of our money, but mostly ourselves. I am who I am, in part, because of the lives that have touched mine. 
I will forever remember sitting in a chair rather upset to have to be at the Institute having driven my sister over, the stress for registering for classes fresh in my mind when Rachel Draper came up to me. I could tell that she didn't want to talk to me, and I was trying to look as uninterested and apathetic as I could. She came over and asked if I was enrolled in an Institute class and I lied, I said yup. She asked if that was my sister over there and I said yup. She asked if I had joined a committee and I knew I was hooped. She was just outgoing enough that if I said yes she would ask which one and I would pick hers, so I didn't want to get stuck so I said nope. She asked what my interests were and I told her taking pictures and photoshop, and computers. She said that the perfect committee for me would be the iTV committee. I looked at the list and I was like score. I knew that there was no way they could ever call all of these people. I signed up and left with my sister. Three days later I got a call from some weird number and let it roll through. It was Colby Manscill. He left a goofy voice mail and invited me tot he committee meeting. I said, fine so he has a lot of time at the beginning of the semester to call a bunch of people, I'll go and just disappear into the crowd and they'll forget about me. I showed up to the first meeting and there were the six of us, plus Brother Smith. I made some great friends and really became active with the Institute. 
My life is forever changed because one girl was brave for five minutes. Because one guy gave me a call and was goofy. Because a lot of people were where they were supposed to be doing what they were supposed to be doing. My life will never be the same. 
There may be some that try to steal Christmas. It is a feeling, but more importantly it is a feeling that makes us want to do something, there is a word for that, oh yeah, faith. It moves us to action. The spirit of Christmas is His spirit. It is the spirit that moves us to be saviors on mount Zion. It moves us to do for others what they cannot do for themselves, even if it is to make them happy. May we not be accused of stealing Christmas. But spreading it. Rejoicing in the song the angles sang of glad tidings of great joy. May we look forward to His glorious return and point others to Him through our celebration of the Christmas Spirit all year long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment