Sunday, December 26, 2010

The widows mites

So I got to speak in church today and it was fantastic, sorta. Teaching and I have this love/love/hate/hate relationship. I love preparing, but I am always freaked out when I get up and I love feeling the spirit and then I feel like I didn't get across what I needed to and then everybody says what a good job you did anyway. Meh. I of coarse talked about institute and what it means to me and why everyone should enroll in a class. One of the parables I used was one of my favorite parables the widows mite. At the very end the Savior says, "For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living." 
I find it interesting that those who had much and gave much did not give as much as the one who gave the least amount. I gather a few things from this. We need to learn how to give until it hurts. We need to give for the right reasons. No matter what we have we must give our all. 
The rich men, gave of their abundance. They did not trust in the Lord. They kept what they needed to be comfortable and gave the leftovers to the Lord. In Sunday school today we hear from Malachi, "Ye offer polluted bread upon mine altar; and ye say, Wherein have we polluted thee? In that ye say, The table of the Lord is contemptible. And if ye offer the blind for sacrifice, is it not evil? and if ye offer the lame and sick, is it not evil? offer it now unto thy governor; will he be pleased with thee, or accept thy person? saith the Lord of hosts."
Would we really give the leftover, lesser portion to the Lord and call it a sacrifice.?
The Savior also watched how they threw their money in. We must give for the right reasons. Not for a haughty display with contempt, but as the Savior gives to us.
We must give our all. That is the sufficient purchase price. We must understand that our one hour in five free hours is infinitely less than an extremely busy persons half hour. If they only have an half an hour to give and they give it  willingly, we are found left with much hanging in the balance. 
The widow who gave all continues to inspire me and guide me in the ways that I need to give and to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment