Monday, March 21, 2011

A beautiful mind

A beautiful mind is a terrible thing to waste and that is why I am grateful for amazing people that remind me of things that are often able to be forgotten. 
One of my friends recently posted a topic about the Holocaust.
This reeled my mind back to college and my final research paper that I ever presented.
The Holocaust.
I watched hours of videos with live interviews from survivors and how living conditions were and what it would have been like. Hours going through the effects of the USHMM and books that made you realize that even though some talk about the Holocaust like a fiction novel that has the rebels on the run from the Nazi Party, it was not a storybook affair. 
It made me sit in the Library and wonder. 
Wonder about man's inhumanity to man.
Wonder about God and how He views the world.
Wonder about how the human family can fall.
I came to appreciate one of the most prolific writers and survivors of the Holocaust. There was rarely a movie that he was not mentioned in. He wrote several of the books that were included in my final project.
He truly came to know God in a place that others would have defined as Hell, in more ways than one. The fires that burned day and night consuming bodies. The smell, the conditions, the torment, the degradation. Yet this comes from a man who was there, 
"Don't aim at success the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's personal dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself. Happiness must happen, and the same holds for success: you have to let it happen by not caring about it..."
It was after this after truly thinking and pondering about what I learned from the Holocaust that I vowed that I would never have a bad day.
 When we only care about making ourselves happy that is what causes a Holocaust. 
Happiness is what you let happen to yourself by not caring about it. It is that which then ensues you as you pursue serving another. 
I have not had a bad day since I realized that happiness is like the treasure that one seeks and never finds. It is already within us. The only obstacle is us, for while it is in us, it takes another to unlock it. 
Victor Frankl found a purpose by giving others purpose. He would share his rations and gave hope to so many. There is so much that should not be taken from the Holocaust and that is what people tend to focus on. What we need to take from it is more important or it was for naught and will be forgotten.
Let us never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment