Thursday, April 7, 2011

Judge

So I have been thinking about judging and how to judge and what to judge dealing with people. 
It's interesting.
Because judgements that aren't righteous don't make a difference.
All they really do is waste time, energy, resources, and every other good thing. 
If we truly learn what Jesus was teaching in the sermon on the mount then we learn to be our own judges. It almost sounded selfish when I was first thinking about it. You have to worry about yourself first. 
If that is where it stops and there is no foresight then not only does it stop there, but digression is guaranteed. 
The leaders of Jesus' time judged themselves and sought their own higher level of righteousness. This led to their down fall. He encouraged us to remove first the beam from thine own eye THAT thou mayest more clearly see to pull out the mote which is in thine brother's eye. We are to judge ourselves so that we can receive the Spirit and then not judge but assist our brother. 
The wounds that we wear instills trust in those whom we try to serve. 
That is why I have personally come to trust the Savior to assist me to become better. He wears the wounds of someone who knows how to be better, not because he read some book, or because he knows a lot of stuff, but because He was better. He lived a perfect life. He suffered more than we can imagine. 
Now pulling out a beam from our eye may not be pleasant, but I will ensure that it is nothing  like the suffering of the Savior. It will however help us to serve those whom He loves.
It is said that he who has mercy on another remembers himself. I submit that this is a part of the meaning in the Savior's teachings. That in so suffering and bearing our wounds to another in trouble we might better understand and reassure them of the power and majesty of the Atonement. 
I'm not advocating pulpit confession, but sharing a tender moment with someone in need that shows that you are not perfect and therefore do not judge them and that Christ is perfect and does not judge those who return to Him is a tender experience. It does more to strengthen the bonds of disciples than most other things. 
God does not sit upon His high tower and judge blindly as we more often than not are prone to do. He judges our intentions, our actions, our desires, our capacity, our dedication. I do not. I judge the here and now. Judging is an interesting thing.
I offer to make a difference in my judging. To look to someone's capacity and realize that not only do they have more to offer, but I can help. To look on the desires of someone and help others to see the same. Righteous judgement makes a difference. 
I think to myself, "Will this matter in 20 years?" If the answer is no then our judgement may be hasty. If the answer is yes and we act under the influence of the Holy Ghost then not only will it matter in 20 years, it will make a difference all the rest of their lives.
Unfortunately, the answer is more often than not no. What someone else wears to church, or drinks, or watches, or says, will really make a difference for me in 20 years. I have never talked about another person so much as when I try to find a reason that doing something is right for me. Will it make a difference for me if I do them though? This time the answer is more often than not yes. We are to learn to judge ourselves. 
Comparisons are not judgement, they are neglecting judgement. They are saying in effect, that because someone else has made a decision that they can make the same decision without any of the effects that the other person faces that you never see. If you pick up one end of the stick then you pick up the other. 
I also dislike judging more and more because of what it does to the person handing judgement. They cannot see another receive remission thankfully. This is because it implicates them. If we are not trying to be better and set the markers for our lives on someone else's life, and they repent and return, then our marker raises with them. We in turn try to revoke the forgiveness that they receive to make sure that we are secure in sin. This is a miserable boat to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment